Real Wireless Limited is seeking a qualified and experienced technology consultant to join a small and successful expert consulting team to lead and contribute to projects regarding a wide range of wireless technologies for enterprise, vendor, operator and regulator clients. In particular, we are looking for an additional team member whose main focus would be on delivering, operating and interpreting simulation models to quantify the performance of wireless networks. However, the successful candidate would also have strong general consultancy skills and technical expertise in wireless technology to contribute to other projects as needed.
About Real Wireless
Real Wireless is a UK-based wireless consultancy, founded by principals with extensive wireless experience and reputation in the UK and internationally. A small but highly capable and experienced consulting team has been created, complemented by a growing group of part-time expert associates, many of whom are acknowledged international experts in their fields. Since its formation at the beginning of 2007, Real Wireless has gained a reputation for thought leadership, at the forefront of developments in femtocells, enterprise wireless systems and spectrum issues, and in providing technical, commercial and strategic expertise with credibility and independence. Diverse assignments for clients such as Wembley Stadium, Ofcom, iBwave, BAA, Ubiquisys and Small Cell Forum have confirmed this reputation.
We have deep and detailed knowledge of a wide range of wireless technologies. We conduct in-depth technical analysis and link the outcomes to commercial and strategic business and regulatory contexts.
Real Wireless is, by design, small and focused entirely on the wireless sector. The distinctive elements of our service include:
- Complete focus on wireless, covering service, technology, business and regulatory aspects.
- Expert staff with a high level of education and experience.
- Independenceof thought and ownership, underpinned by a high level of integrity.
- Consulting based on real-world experience, derived from our background in research, product development, systems design and operation as well as technical and strategic consulting.
- Experience of designing, installing and operating wireless systems for enterprises as well as operators, yielding a unique perspective on the needs of both.
Real Wireless has built up an impressive in house capability in the simulation and modeling of wireless networks. Recent example of this has included amongst others:
- Developing detailed coverage models for Ofcom to understand the cost to operators of applying a coverage obligation at 800MHz via LTE
- Designing and developing in-building propagation algorithms to be incorporated in commercial indoor planning tools such as those delivered by iBWave
- Analysing measurements collected during trials of LTE outdoor small cells by Virgin Media and interpreting these into quantifiable benefits for operators
- Modeling the capacity of cellular networks over an 18 year timeline for Ofcom which included understanding the trade-offs between spectrum efficiency improvements, topology changes and the availability of additional spectrum in meeting growing demand.
Our success in modeling the performance of wireless networks, understanding the trade-offs within these and translating this into the benefits that our clients really care about has led to an ever increasing demand for our skills in this area. We are now looking to expand our team to keep pace with this.
The main focus of the role is to contribute to the design, development, operation and interpretation of system-level simulation models to quantify the performance of wireless networks. What is meant by “quantifying the performance of wireless networks” will vary from project to project depending on the client’s interest and so we are looking for a team member who can quickly understand a client’s need and is flexible and innovative enough to rapidly develop simulation models that clearly present the answer required in tight timescales. Essential skills for this role include having in-depth experience in using MATLAB (ideally to model wireless networks) and a firm understanding of wireless technologies (including but not limited to LTE). Experience of other simulation tools and packages would also be of benefit.
Due to the nature of consultancy work the role is a highly flexible, dynamic and varied one. Beyond the simulation and modeling tasks which are the main focus of this role, you may be responsible for assisting with proposals to clients based on identified needs, delivering on other non-modeling based consulting projects and identifying opportunities for follow-on engagements.
You will work on a wide range of consulting projects as these arise. You will lead some projects and work as a team member on others according to the project.
Real Wireless operates a ‘virtual office’ approach to maintain flexibility. Some projects will be remotely conducted and home-based, while others will involve periods working within client offices. Most work will be based in the UK, but there are likely to be opportunities for international travel. A high degree of flexibility is required to work successfully on projects to the delight of our customers as the need arises.
The role is a full-time permanent one, subject to an initial probationary period.
Skills and Qualifications
- Good quality degree in relevant engineering or science subjects to Masters or PhD level
- In-depth knowledge of the theory and practice of a range of wireless technologies, preferably including a strong mixture of mobile (GSM, UMTS / HSPA, LTE, WiMAX), wireless LAN/PAN (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth), PMR (trunked radio and TETRA) technologies.
- In depth experience in using MATLAB to model the performance of wireless networks and the ability to revert to using other modeling approaches such as Excel or C in this context as needed. It would also be an advantage to have experience in other simulation environments, including commercial radio planning tools, MapInfo etc.
- Ideally 2-5 years experience in a wireless vendor, operator or consulting environment
- Strong presentation skills and experience in explaining challenging technical and commercial concepts for both expert and non-specialist audiences
- Strong written skills in providing clear and logical expositions of technical and commercial information
- Problem-solving aptitude, adopting an evidence-based approach supplemented with clear analysis and reasoning to reach and advocate conclusions and recommendations of value to our customers
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and to be able to deliver under tight timescales without close supervision
- Preferably based in the South-East of England with easy access to London, but other locations may be possible
The successful candidate will be offered a competitive basic salary, supplemented with an uncapped bonus scheme, paid quarterly based on individual and team achievements against targets.
Informal enquiries concerning the role are welcome via firstname.lastname@example.org, as are applications in the form of a CV and covering letter highlighting relevant background, experience, and interest in the role as described.